20 January 2006

Lion dancing

January is Hong Kong's sleepy season, chilly and damp, and since apartment buildings are generally unheated here, lying in bed under large piles of blankets sometimes seems the only solution. It's easy to lose weeks or months to blankets and tea and piles of books--and as pleasurable as this kind of hibernation can be, I suspect there are better ways to use my last few months here. Example: lion dancing.

Yes, I'm voluntarily participating in a biaoyan [performance]--and yes, it involves dancing of multiple types. Chinese folk dancing classes start on Monday, but yesterday I had my first initiation into lion dancing. Yesterday's class involved a group of five of us marching around in an approximate circle (after we put the lion costumes on, calling our formation a circle would involve serious suspension of disbelief) while our teacher (the head of the putonghua program at the Chinese Language Center) beat a drum and yelled "zuo! you! zuo! you!" while we all stared at our feet, ran into each other, and got tangled in our lions. It's amazing how smart people around the world all seem to have great difficulty differentiating left from right. The class proceeded, in the kind of polyglot cacophany typical of Hong Kong, without noticeable improvement. Things I learned: 1. Bamboo (?) lion heads are heavy and hot. 2. If you are me, it is extremely difficult to remember to simultaneously open/close the lion's mouth, shake the head from side to side, walk in time to a drum, and periodically jump up and crouch down. I suspect that this would be difficult even if I could remember the difference between shang [up] and xia [down]--although I learned these words in my first week of Chinese, they still give me more trouble than discussing, say, Macao's gambling industry [Aumen de bocaiye] or the museum housing the tomb and terracotta warriors of the first emperor of the Qin dynasty [ Qinshihuang binmayong bowuguan].

2 Comments:

Blogger Siapiau said...

Sara, Welcome to the blogging world. I've also always been pretty skeptical about blogs but started one around the new year when my friend's parents suggested I have a blog to document my time in Alaska. I had already been here a month and thought it might be too late to start one -- i had already experienced the newness of it. But I was wrong. Ever since starting the blog, i take more note of things that happen to me so it's almost like they are new once again. It's been good for me, and i hope you end up feeling the same way. I'm glad you're writing about my old home -- i can live vicariously through you. give hong kong a huge hug for me.

Happy Chinese New Year

zaijian

~lisa

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

It is a pleasure to read some of your archives or posts... This brilliant blog has some valuable information that you must have spend some time in creating...

I hope you keep adding relative content and other useful information...

Good Luck,
brilliant blog

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home